This Star Traveler is available in two sizes. Size 1 is 7 1/2 x 10 and is suitable for up to a 16″ SCT with a little extra room. Size 2 is 7 1/2 x 15 and a split roof design. We call it the Star Traveler XL mobile observatory. The size is perfect for large group viewing, or multiple pier / Telescope applications. This observatory is well suited for research projects that require extra space for equipment and research components.
The Star Traveler Mobile observatory has been road tested rigorously as outlined below.
Star Traveler Mobile Observatory Road Test #1:
The Star Traveler Mobile Observatory was road tested on November 3, 2007. It was driven from Chicago, Illinois to College Station, Texas. A trip of 1100 miles, at an average speed of 60 miles per hour.
Star Traveler Mobile Observatory Road Test #2:
A second Star Traveler Mobile Observatory was road tested on January 7, 2008. It was driven from Chicago, Illinois to Miami, Florida. A trip of 1400 miles at an average speed of 60 miles per hour.
Star Traveler Mobile Observatory Road Test #3:
A third Star Traveler Mobile Observatory was road tested on June 10, 2009. It was driven from Chicago, Illinois to San Francisco California. A trip of 2127 miles at an average speed of 60 miles per hour.
Star Traveler Mobile Observatory Road Test #4:
A fourth Star Traveler Mobile Observatory was road tested on June 15, 2019. It was driven from Chicago, Illinois to Dyersburg Tennessee. A trip of 500 miles at an average speed of 60 miles per hour.
• Built out of aluminum with stainless steel mounting hardware, the Star Traveler Mobile observatory will last a lifetime. Below are the standard features, available sizes, and options.
Included Features of the Star Traveler Mobile Observatory
• All aluminum trailer platform with safety lighting, 2 ½” hitch ball and electrical hookup
• Standard 3 point Pier/tripod isolation platform with independent retractable hydraulic isolation pods. This platform totally isolates the pier/tripod from the trailer floor. You will be able to walk on the trailer without vibrating the pier/tripod, and it also isolates the pier/tripod from external forces, such as wind on the side of the observatory
• All aluminum observatory walls and roof with stainless steel fasteners
• Properly balanced trailer weight distribution for safe trailer operation
• Optional Azimuth adjustment adapter for quickly adjusting your telescope/mount in azimuth.
Applications for Star Traveler Mobile Observatory
• Have an observatory that you can use on your property and also be able to drive to star parties, without having to dismantle your setup.
• Since the Star Traveler is not a permanent observatory, home owners association rules do not apply, meaning that you may be able to place an observatory on your property
• Attend your favorite star parties without having to disassemble your whole telescope setup. Keep all your equipment mounted during transport. Set-up takes only 10 minutes.
• Public outreach programs to schools and community. Share your passion for astronomy by bringing your astronomy to others.
• The Star Traveler can be positioned in various remote areas and be controlled via the internet, as a remotely operated observatory, via a wireless link. Since it can be solar powered (optional with available solar panel system), it can serve as a self reliant system.
• Great for RV applications. If you are a RV enthusiast, this is a way to take your observatory with you when traveling across the country.
What do you get as standard equipment?
Observatory built onto an Aluminum Trailer.
3 point manually adjustable Hydraulic Pier Isolation Platform with remote controller.
Vibration isolation platform.
What are the optional features?
Roof opening motor system, with open/close switch and roof limit switches.
Remote control Roof motor system. ASCOM compatible with color touch screen controller. Cloud sensor control capability. Pier down, mount parked optional sensors.